? ??????????????Argyle? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (2 Ratings)??4 Grabs Today. 1017 Total Grabs. ??????Previe
w?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Pink Plaid Lights? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??33 Grabs Today. 1356 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????? ????Easy BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, August 11, 2008

The New York Knicks have never won the championship

I love this story.

I just told part of it at a party the other day and I forgot how much more there was to it.

Hubby and I loved the Knicks. We had gotten tickets as a gift in 1991 for hubbys 25th birthday and we were hooked. We sat close to courtside and saw Patrick Ewing play Spud Webb and the Sacramento Kings. It was amazing.

I am not by any means a sports fan. I am certaintly not one of those woman who supports her man in a pretend passion for sweaty athletes. I was a cheerleader. And I never knew if we were on offense or defense.

My father is still a football coach and has been my whole life. I attended his games when I was younger and I watched the cheerleaders. I never knew whether it was a touchdown or a home run. Ok so I wasnt that bad, but for me it was about the hot chocolate and the cheers.

So I get weirdly obsessed with basketball. We got tickets alot the next year 1992 and the Knicks are actually finally good that year. I find out I am pregnant with daughter number 3 in September. Basketball starts in November and we get tickets now and then.

So its April 1993 and the Knicks are going to be in the playoffs. I am ridiculously pregnant with #3 and still feeling sicker than I ever felt before. I still need to go to those games.

We find out that tickets are going to be on sale at Madison Square Garden at 7am. This is in the days before the internet and buying tickets online. You actually had to go wait on line and buy them. It was a long process but Knicks tickets were worth it.

So Hubby wants to take the train into Penn Station to Madison Square Garden and I am like no way, you cant be on the train at 2 am. I rant and rave like I have been known to do about the crazy people riding the train and the dangers of Manhattan. Seriously 15 years ago, the city wasnt as safe as it is today. So I am like no, no, no, take the car.

And like what usually happens, he listened.

So hubby drives into Manhattan at 2am and parks the car and goes to wait on line at Madison Square Garden. At 7am he is issued a bracelet to purchase tickets at 10am. He decides to go back to his car and sleep for a little while.

So he walks to where his car is parked, no car. Hmmm, have I mistaken where I left my car at 2am or more likely has it been stolen?

He finds a cop and tells him his car has been stolen. The cop is like hey maybe it was towed and hubby is like why would it be towed, its parked in a legal spot. Cop is like well this store over here probably has a friend at the Department of Transportation and had your car towed so he could get a delivery. Hubby is like holy crap where is my car? Impound yard, and a hundred and fifty dollars to get it out.

Hubby buys tickets to the 3 playoff games at home and goes to get his car. It takes hours. He loses a whole day at work, 150 dollars for the impound and all the money for the tickets. Originally we were going to sell the other tickets and just go to one of the games, butttt after all the aggravation we are like ,,, we have to go now.

I am now 9 months preggers with kid 3 and we go to the first 2 games. Third home game is like May something and I am now overdue with kid 3. My due date has come and gone and I am going to the doctor twice a week. In my defense I ask the doctor if she thinks I will have the baby soon and she says probably not. I dont actually mention my planned trip 60 miles away on a train, after my due date with kid 3. I didnt think it was need to know info. I was going anyway. Worse case scenario I give birth on the court and I name my kid Patrick Ewing after he delivers the baby.

Off we go, on the train this time because I learned my lesson about having the car towed. We have the crappiest seats at the game, I mean last row, top of the garden, behind one of the baskets.

Have you ever sat in the crappy seats anywhere at any sporting event? You know what kind of people sit there? Need I say more??

We are not drinking, me being about to give birth and hubby being supportive of that and needing to drive home after the train ride back to Ronkonkima. Crappy seats, sporting event, we are the ONLY people not drinking.

Nine months pregnant... anyone... yeah I had to pee about every 4 seconds. Being in the crappy seats, there is no bathroom on that level. So each trip to the bathroom is a flight of stairs down, across the hall and sometimes waiting on line although usually not because its mostly men there.

Did I mention we are in the last row of the highest level of seats? There is a railing behind us. And drunken idiots all around.

A fight breaks out in our section. We just stand there as security guards rush around and seal off the path out of the area, my only path to the bathroom. These two drunken fools are shoving each other close to the edge of the 400 section about to plummet down to the better seats, the 300 section.

I have to pee. Really bad. And I am waiting patiently, not so patiently, about to pee in my water bottle. And the guards are letting them fight it out. Stupidly letting drunken people push and shove each other close to a 15 foot drop.

I have an 8 and 1/2 lb baby pressing on my bladder. And as my bladder is getting bigger, she is pushing back , hard and I am starting to sweat. So I decide to do the only thing I can do.

I am going over the railing behind our seats. So I have 175 lbs all in my belly, wearing a maternity Knicks jersey and I am climbing over a railing at Madison Square Garden in the cheap seats. Strangers are staring at first, then they are helping me and I do not even care. I have one mission and that is to get to the bathroom. Fast.

So I climb over the railing and those drunken white trash people are soooo impressed. I go to the bathroom and when I return... I am a legend. And hubby is proud. Life is good, and we watch the Knicks beat Reggie Miller and the Pacers. People are high fiving me throughout the game.

It was quite memorable. The kid wasnt born until a week later so I guess I was safe. The Knicks did not win the title that year or any year after. We were fans for years and saw many other games. One year my sister got us a mini plan for Christmas and we saw lots of games that year. But no title, never.

The Knicks lost a lot of their good players, some of my favorites, like Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason. They have new players now, maybe some who can finally win. We dont go to games anymore. The cost is just too much and although I am not pregnant I probably have to pee more now than I did then.

I wonder if people are still talking about that giant pregnant woman who jumped the railing just to pee. The biggest Knicks fan at that game, hanging in the cheap seats with the drunken losers, screaming for the win, wearing a tent that had the Knicks logo on it and hoping to make it home without my water breaking. I made it and then some and it was a great memory and a funny story.

Go Knicks.

0 comments: